Different Math ideas and techniques

If you are interested in math and want to learn different techniques to make math easier check out my blog!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Working through the Steps 

        We are in our fourth week of learning elementary math at Central Lakes College. This week we are learning all about divisibility of numbers. A secret I would like to share with you when trying to find the divisibility of numbers is a great technique called the Factor Tree. 
        The factor tree is a diagram used to break down a number by dividing it by its factors until all the numbers left are prime (a number that is only divisible by one and itself). For myself, I am a visual learner, so looking at this diagram and working through the steps has really helped me. With any given number, I start with the first "branch" or factor being divisible by 2. I then work my way down from their until I can not divide the numbers any longer. Here is a great example so you can see the diagram for yourself. Once you have examined the Factor Tree, cover up the answers and try it for yourself! 



No comments:

Post a Comment